On October 17, 2018, cannabis became legal in Canada. Maple Creek is one of forty Saskatchewan communities designated by Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority to receive retailer permits.
- Cannabis refers to products made from the leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant, also referred to as marijuana or pot.
- Legalization of cannabis refers to recreational or personal use.
- Who do I call if I see someone consuming cannabis in public? The RCMP, 306-662-5550
- I live in an apartment and my neighbour is smoking cannabis in their apartment, who do I call? Your landlord, The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act, 2018, gives landlords the right to impose reasonable rules prohibiting the possession, use, growth, and sale of cannabis in a rental unit.
- Condominium boards have the ability to pass by-laws respecting the smoking or cultivation of cannabis in their complexes.
Federal Government Jurisdiction:
- Legalized cannabis consumption for recreational or personal use.
- Determines the amount of cannabis a person can legally possess.
- Number of cannabis plants a household can legally grow.
- Types of cannabis products to be sold.
- The serving sizes and potency of cannabis products.
- Safe practices for producing cannabis.
- Tracking cannabis from seed to sale.
- For more information please visit the Federal Government website.
Provincial Government Jurisdiction:
- The minimum legal age a person in Saskatchewan can buy, possess, and consume cannabis is 19.
- Cannabis consumption is prohibited in public spaces, similar to the laws around alcohol consumption.
- Additional rules regarding where cannabis can be grown including multi-unit dwellings and rental properties. The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act, 2018
- There will be a zero tolerance approach for drugs and driving.
- For more information please visit the Provincial Government website.
Town of Maple Creek:
- Cannabis retail stores are listed as a discretionary use in the Commercial Core District, Highway Corridor Commercial District and Industrial District.
- Cannabis retail stores will NOT be permitted in any Residential Zoning District.
- Cannabis retail stores must be a minimum of one block (as defined at Council's discretion) from schools and playgrounds.
- Cannabis cultivation is listed as a Discretionary Use in Highway Corridor Commercial District and Industrial District.
- Cannabis cultivation must be a minimum of one block (as defined at Council's discretion) from schools and playgrounds.